Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Sketchbook Update







It's been awhile since I posted any sketchbook images, so I thought I'd take a moment to share a few.

The first one is of a mechanic on his lunch break that started dozing off while I was waiting for my car to be inspected. I knew my car was almost ready, but I couldn't resist the temptation of a stationary model. So I whipped out my trusty Pentel brush and got to work. Just as I was finishing up, another mechanic came out to tell me my car was ready to go. This woke my model, so as I was getting up to pay the bill, I handed him my sketchbook and walked to the counter. At first he had no idea what was going on, but once it sunk in what he was looking at, he was so amazed to wake up and see a totally recognizable portrait of himself.

I don't normally show people the sketches I make of them, but I'm glad I did it this time. My nieces always like to tease me for being a "creepy sketchbook stalker," but the truth is, most people are really flattered (and in this case, deeply moved) that someone would find them interesting enough to create a piece of art about. I know its not the Mona Lisa or anything, but, hey, it made that guy's day.

No comments: